Twitter following: who, why...

Social networking, forum participation, guest blogging, JVs, etc.

Twitter following: who, why...

Postby AntoneRoundy » 24-May-2010 @ 12:40 pm

A few questions about how you use Twitter:

* Do you actually read (or at least skim) every tweet from all the people you follow?
* Do you use a Twitter client to filter out a bunch of them and only read the tweets of a select few?
* Do you ignore Twitter completely?

* Would you tweet more often if it were more convenient? (eg. if you didn't have to copy and paste URLs, if you had 1-click URL shortening (like TinyURL), etc.)

* What makes you want to follow someone?
* What makes you unfollow someone?
* What makes you reluctantly unfollow someone you'd really like to follow if they didn't do it?

Feel free to name a few people you recommend following. I'll start of by saying my favorite Twitter "friend" is http://twitter.com/michelfortin because he tweets links to a lot of good internet marketing info and resources and isn't spammy. Lately, his signal to noise ration seems a little higher than it used to be, but certainly not high enough to make me unfollow.
AntoneRoundy
Site Admin

Re: Twitter following: who, why...

Postby burtabreu » 26-May-2010 @ 1:41 am

Here's my meandering response - I'm very tired so this may not make sense to someone fully awake....

I 'have' Twitter feeds for work and personal site but I've gradually been posting and reading less and less. The problem for me is that there is just such a flood of posts, with much of it noise, that I can't really keep up. It's like trying to drink water from a firehose.

I am testing pulling some category specific tweets using CaRP and putting them on my site - you can see some at the bottom of this page http://stormvisions.com/pages/links/photoshop.php.

It would be nice if Twitter had some tools like

1- assign weight or rating to different tweet accounts so that you would get more posts from sites that you find most useful.
2- have some sort of rules based filtering ie

If @name_qualityscore>90 AND Post_Has_Link OR #tag = {photoshop}
Show Post
Else
Hide Post

so maybe you could refine what is shown?
burtabreu

Postby AntoneRoundy » 27-May-2010 @ 3:22 pm

It makes sense to me...but that may be because I'm not fully awake either!

I see that you're following 372 people -- perhaps you just need to pare that down a little to reduce the flow (better to actually read what just the most interesting people are tweeting than to ignore everyone because there's too much volume...in my opinion).

But what you're saying sounds interesting, about having some sort of algorithm to decide on a tweet-by-tweet basis whether to show the tweets. Might be something a 3rd-party tool could provide (it may require a bit too much processing for Twitter to tack on to their already frequently strained service).

Perhaps the way to do it would be to, for example, say if ((@name_quality_score + if(has_link,10,0) + if(#tag==photoshop,10,0)) > 80) show else hide. In other words, if the person's quality score plus 10 points if they tweet has a link + 10 points if it contains #photoshop is over some threshold (80 in this case), show it. I'd think it'd be more useful for each person to assign quality scores to the people they follow than to use an externally generated quality score (unless the externally generated quality score was customized to the individual somehow). But of course, that would require users to assign quality scores to potentially large numbers of "friends". So including it as an option might be better -- eg. if i have quality score for @name, my quality score for @name, else use global quality score for @name...

You'd want to be able to do some hard filtering too -- like "hide anything that mentions product X that is getting launched and everybody's tweeting their hearts out about, no matter what it's score is otherwise".

This has me thinking that I may need to update CaRP's filter plugin to enable score & threshold based filtering. Hmm...
AntoneRoundy
Site Admin

Postby burtabreu » 29-May-2010 @ 12:29 am

'...I'd think it'd be more useful for each person to assign quality scores to the people they follow than to use an externally generated quality score (unless the externally generated quality score...'

Yes I agree that the quality score should be assigned by each person. I guess you could add an optional 'trust' setting that would allow you to accept all or part of a friends score ie "I trust Joe 50%" which might nudge a posts weight. Might also be cool to add plugins(?) to allow you to further refine by maybe using other data like Klout or Google's Follow Finder? Still tired (my constant state it seems). It would be a great addition to CaRP.
burtabreu

Return to Networking